About Safe Schools Manitoba
Safe Schools Manitoba is a partnership initiative of organizations committed to working together to enhance the safety of schools and communities in Manitoba. It receives continued operating and funding from the Province of Manitoba, namely Manitoba Education. Safe Schools Manitoba also receives in-kind support from the Manitoba School Boards Association.
The organization represents an effective collaboration of Manitoba Education, provincial associations, school systems, and parent councils. The Safe Schools Manitoba Advisory Council provides a forum for identification of emerging issues related to safe schools and communities. It makes recommendations concerning the direction, goals and services of the organization. These groups share the responsibility of contributing to safe schools and communities.
The following organizations contributed to the establishment of Safe Schools Manitoba:
- Brandon Police Service
- City of Winnipeg Emergency Response Services
- Child Find Manitoba
- Council of School Leaders
- Emergency Preparedness Canada
- Healthy Child Manitoba
- Manitoba Association of Parent Councils
- Manitoba Association of School Business Officials
- Manitoba Association of School Superintendents
- Manitoba School Boards Association
- Manitoba Education
- Manitoba Federation of Independent Schools
- Manitoba Indian Education Association Inc.
- Manitoba Justice
- Manitoba Metis Federation Inc.
- Manitoba Teachers' Society
- Office of the Fire Commissioner
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Student Services Administrators' Association of Manitoba
- Winnipeg Police Service
Mary Hall, PhD, is the Director of Safe Schools Manitoba. She has worked in the field for over 30 years, teaching in the elementary school system, as well as the undergraduate and graduate levels of the post-secondary system. She has lectured in the Faculty of Education and the Department of Criminology at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, as well as the Faculty of Education at the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg.
What We Do
Safe Schools Manitoba has been established as a vehicle to address concerns about school and community safety. Our goal is to provide assistance, training, and information to schools and parents regarding proven evidence based approaches to prevention and intervention. In addition, we share resources, provide samples of best practices, and offer guidelines for policy development.